I have a deep distrust of muffins.
They strike me as a baked good that really wants to be cake, but for some reason feels the need to masquerade under the cover of vague healthiness (the one exception to this, of course, being the doughnut muffin).
However, this all changed for me when I received a totally sweet sample from Katom--a 9-inch pre-seasoned skillet. I love this thing. First off, it's adorable--it's like a baby skillet! But even so, it has a satisfying heft--there's no doubt about it, this baby could be used as a weapon. If you chose to, that is.
But I chose to use it as a weapon of deliciousness, using it to bake one massive banana muffin.
Starting with the banana muffin recipe from the Cupcake Cafe Cookbook , I simply baked the whole batch as one mass in the skillet, and it came out beautifully. It baked perfectly in the skillet, moist and lightly crumbly on the edges, with a wide expanse of craggy crust on top. When cut in thick wedges and served with a healthy smear of lightly melted butter and brown sugar, it is delicious, and so much better than a muffin. In fact, I wouldn't even blame you if you wanted to top it with a smear of cream cheese or peanut butter buttercream frosting.
Ready for this tastiness in your own home? Here's the recipe.
Banana Muffins, Baked in a Skillet
Adapted from Cupcake Cafe Cookbook
You'll need: a skillet
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) butter
- 3/4 cup sugar (I used brown sugar)
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups very ripe, mashed bananas
- Grease your skillet.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the walnuts.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a stand mixer. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Mix the banana into the egg mixture. Fold in the dry ingredients until just blended. Fill your skillet with the mixture, it should be about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes; they are done when a cake tester or toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.