CakeSpy Note: I am beyond ecstatic to announce that I have been invited as a media guest to the 45th Annual Pillsbury Bake-Off in Orlando, Florida! The event will take place in late March; til then, I am going to feature several of the sweets finalists here in anticipation of the big day!
Don't think less of me, but I actually like macaroons better than macarons. Don't get me wrong: macarons are adorable, distinguished, sophisticated, and an artful baked good which I appreciate very much.
But when it comes to a cookie that satisfies, for me, I will take the lumpy macaroon any time.
But this version has a sort of pinkies-out twist: "Sea salt meets sweet treat in an updated classic coconut macaroon." It was created for the Pillsbury Bake-Off by Sarah Meuser of New Milford, Connecticut.
Salted Caramel Macaroons
- 1 can (14 oz) Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 jar (12.25 oz) Smucker's® Caramel Ice Cream Topping
- 1 cup Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Unbleached Flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Sea Salt
- 2 bags (14 oz each) shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 cup Chopped Pecans
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate baking chips
- Heat oven to 325°F. Line 2 large cookie sheets with cooking parchment paper; spray with Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray.
- In large bowl, combine condensed milk, caramel topping, flour and 3/4 teaspoon of the sea salt; mix well. Stir in coconut, pecans and chocolate chips until well mixed.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls 1 inch apart onto cookie sheets. Lightly sprinkle tops with remaining 1/2 teaspoon sea salt.
- Bake 15 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 30 minutes. Store in airtight container.