CakeSpy Note: I am beyond ecstatic to announce that I have been invited as a media guest to the 45th Annual Pillsbury Bake-Off in Orlando, Florida! The event will take place in late March; til then, I am going to feature several of the sweets finalists here in anticipation of the big day!
Chocolate, Ginger-Cream and Pear Tart. Oh, my! It looks so hard, and so fancy. But it's not! Well, not hard to make, that is. "Create a pastry-chef standout dessert with flaky pastry, creamy pear filling and a just-right chocolate top. You can do it!" says Pillsbury Bake-off finalist Maria Scotto di Santolo of Berlin, New Jersey.
Chocolate, Ginger-Cream and Pear Tart
- 1 Pillsbury® refrigerated pie crust, softened as directed on box
- 2 cans (15 oz each) pear halves in juice, drained
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar (raw sugar)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Ground Ginger
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 4oz (half of 8-oz package) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2cup mascarpone cheese (from 8-oz container), softened
- 3/4cup Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk (from 14-oz can)
- 1/4 cup Unsalted or Salted Butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 egg Yolk
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup Hershey's® Special Dark® chocolate baking chips
- 1teaspoon corn syrup
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1/4 cup Chopped Walnuts
- Heat oven to 450°F. In ungreased 10- or 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom, press pie crust evenly in bottom and up side of pan. Generously prick crust with fork.
- Bake 6 to 9 minutes or until golden brown. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F. Cool crust 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, reserve 2 pear halves for garnish; refrigerate. Slice remaining pear halves; place in small bowl. Add raw sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of the ginger and bread crumbs; toss gently to coat. In medium bowl, beat cream cheese and mascarpone with electric mixer on high speed until smooth. Add condensed milk, butter, remaining 2 teaspoons ginger, 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk; beat on medium speed until well blended. Spread 1 cup filling over cooled crust; arrange pear slices on top. Spread remaining filling over pears.
- Bake at 325°F 40 to 50 minutes or until set and golden brown around edge. Cool 30 minutes.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave 1/3 cup whipping cream and chocolate chips on High 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, or until smooth. Stir in corn syrup until well blended. Spread over cooled tart. Refrigerate 1 hour 30 minutes or until set.
- Cut reserved pear halves into 12 slices. Remove side of pan. To serve, cut into 12 wedges. Top each wedge with 2 tablespoons whipped cream, 1 pear slice and 1 teaspoon walnuts. Store covered in refrigerator.