CakeSpy Note: OMG! The 46th Annual Pillsbury Bake-Off is coming! Since I so deeply loved attending the 45th Bake-Off, I thought I would get you excited early by sharing some of the finalists' recipes. Do I need to tell you that the winner will receive one million dollars? My posting is on hyperdrive since the event is less than a week a day--check back often, because I will be posting recipes like crazy until the big event!
I love it when Bake-Off Finalists are from New Jersey! Donna Pochoday-Stelmach of Morris Township, New Jersey has come up with a wonderful recipe for a morning cake made in a skillet. Yum!
Peach and Plum Skillet Coffee Cake
Prep Time: 25 Min Total Time: 1 Hr 10 Min Makes: 8 servings
- 1 can Pillsbury® refrigerated orange flavor sweet rolls with icing
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large firm ripe peaches, peeled, sliced 1/4-inch-thick
- 1 medium firm ripe plum, sliced 1/4-inch-thick
- 1 cup walnuts, pecans or almonds, chopped
- 1/2cup Smucker's Orchard's Finest Northwest Triple Berry Preserves
- Heat oven to 350°F. Place oven rack in lower third of oven. Remove rolls and icing from can; set rolls aside.
- In 10-inch cast iron or ovenproof skillet, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and icing. Heat 1 to 2 minutes or until icing is melted; remove from heat. In skillet, arrange peach slices over butter mixture around outer edge, overlapping slightly. Arrange plum slices in center of skillet, overlapping slightly. Top with nuts.
- Separate dough into 8 rolls. Using sharp knife, cut each roll horizontally into 2 rounds. Place 12 dough rounds over fruit around outer edge of skillet, edges touching. Place remaining dough rounds in center of skillet. Cut remaining 2 tablespoons butter into small pieces and place on dough.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until deep golden brown. Cool 5 minutes.
- Run knife around edge of skillet to loosen cake. Place heatproof serving plate upside down over skillet; carefully turn plate and skillet over. Remove skillet.
- In small microwavable bowl, stir preserves and 1 tablespoon water until blended. Microwave on High 30 to 60 seconds or until mixture boils.
- To serve, cut coffee cake into wedges. Drizzle 1 tablespoon preserves mixture over each wedge. Serve warm.