CakeSpy Note: OMG! The 46th Annual Pillsbury Bake-Off is coming! Since I so deeply loved attending the 45th Bake-Off, I thought I would get you excited early by sharing some of the finalists' recipes. Narrowed down from zillions of entries, I'll profile some of the 100 finalists--but of course, based on the subject matter of this site, I will focus on sweets! You can follow them by clicking the bakeoff tag below the post to see which ones have been posted so far. Enjoy!
Although this recipe was dreamed up by Lise Ode of Cumming, Georgia, I prefer to think of this post as an Ode to Lise. Because seriously. This is the best thing ever! Biscuit dough fried to delicious, flaky-cakey perfection and then garnished with the flavors of German chocolate cake (that cake is one of the recipes in my book The Secret Lives of Baked Goods: Sweet Stories & Recipes for America's Favorite Desserts, btw).
German Chocolate Doughnuts
Prep Time: 30 Min Total Time: 30 Min Makes: 8 servings
- 4 cups Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Pillsbury Creamy Supreme Coconut Pecan Frosting
- 1/2 cup Pillsbury® Creamy Supreme® Chocolate Frosting
- 1 can Pillsbury Grands! Flaky Layers refrigerated honey butter biscuits
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- In 3-quart heavy saucepan, heat oil over medium heat to 350°F.
- Meanwhile, spoon coconut pecan frosting into decorating bag fitted with 1/2-inch wide tip. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, stir chocolate frosting and 1 tablespoon water until smooth. Set aside.
- Place paper towels under cooling rack. Separate dough into 8 biscuits; gently place 2 biscuits at a time in hot oil. Cook 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until golden brown. Using tongs, gently turn over; cook 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to cooling rack; cool 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl,mix pecans and coconut.
- To fill doughnuts, insert decorating tip into side of each biscuit. Squeeze about 2 tablespoons of coconut pecan frosting into center.
- Dip one side of each biscuit in chocolate glaze. Sprinkle with pecan mixture. Serve warm or cool.