CakeSpy Note: OMG! The 46th Annual Pillsbury Bake-Off is coming! Since I so deeply loved attending the 45th Bake-Off, I thought I would get you excited early by sharing some of the finalists' recipes. Narrowed down from zillions of entries, I'll profile some of the 100 finalists--but of course, based on the subject matter of this site, I will focus on sweets! You can follow them by clicking the bakeoff tag below the post to see which ones have been posted so far. Enjoy!
The first recipe I'll feature? A wonderful one: Red, White, and Blue Dessert Tacos. Created by Charlotte Giltner of Mesa, AZ, all you have to do is "Fold flaky biscuits around whipped cream and berries to create a taco-inspired dessert." Easy and sweet! Here's the recipe.
Red, White, and Blue Dessert Tacos
Total time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1cup fresh blueberries
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 can Pillsbury® Grands!® Flaky Layers refrigerated Butter Tastin'® biscuits
- 2 tablespoons Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1/4cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- In medium bowl, gently mix strawberries, blueberries and 4 tablespoons of the sugar. Cover; refrigerate, stirring occasionally.
- In small bowl, beat whipping cream with electric mixer on low speed until slightly thickened. Increase speed to medium. Slowly add 2 tablespoons of the sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Cover; refrigerate.
- Separate dough into 8 biscuits. Sprinkle flour on work surface; press or roll each biscuit into 6-inch round.
- In 12-inch skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat. Add 2 biscuit rounds to skillet; cook 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side or until light golden brown. Repeat with remaining biscuit rounds, adding more oil as needed. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle one side of the biscuit rounds with the remaining 4 tablespoons sugar.
- With slotted spoon, spoon 1/3 cup fruit mixture lengthwise in middle of unsugared side of each biscuit round. Spoon rounded 1/4 cup whipped cream along outside edge of fruit; fold biscuit round over to form taco. Serve immediately.
For more Bake-Off fun, visit the official website.