Fudge? That you can make in the microwave? Who has ever heard of such a thing?
Um, you have. On this very site, several years ago. It's OK. I understand that if you're new to the site you haven't spent all day sifting through my archives. I also understand that if you're a longtime reader...well, you forget things.
But this recipe is good enough to bring back. I made it "new" by employing butterscotch chips instead of peanut butter this time. And let me tell you, it stands the test of time. It appeals to me both on a level of novelty (it's fudge! made in the microwave!), but also on a level of taste (it's chocolatey! It's very, very sweet! It has butterscotch chips inside and on top!).
Basically, what I am getting at here is that this recipe is fun, it's tasty, and it's worth your time. It's also easy enough that if you had a cookie swap to go to in an hour, you could still make it RIGHT NOW.
Butterscotch Chip Microwave Fudge
Makes about 16 squares
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/2 cup half and half, divided
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup butterscotch chip morsels, divided into 1/2 and 1/4 cup
- Line an 8x8-inch or 9x9-inch pyrex pan with parchment paper or waxed paper.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, stir together the confectioners' sugar and cocoa. Pour 1/4 cup of the half and half over the mixture and place butter in bowl. Do not mix (it will be too thick to mix, anyway). Microwave on high until butter is melted, about 2 minutes. Stir in the vanilla and 1/2 cup of the butterscotch morsels (the residual heat will melt them just enough). Stir vigorously until smooth. You can also put the mixture into a stand mixer if that sounds exhausting. If your mixture is too dry, add up to 1/4 cup more half and half, a little at a time, until the mixture comes together in a fudge-like consistency.
- Spoon the mixture into your prepared pan and using a rubber spatula, spread the mixture so that it is evenly distributed. If desired, sprinkle the top with the remaining chips.
- Chill in the refrigerator for an hour, or the freezer for half an hour, before serving. Makes about 16 squares.